There's no specific reason to be worried before a viewing, but it's always sensible to take normal safety precautions.
The best way to make sure your holding deposit is treated properly is if your landlord is using our Rent Now tenancy creation service. In Rent Now, you pay the holding deposit to us directly, protecting you against any unfair practices from landlords or agents.
You can learn more about how your holding deposit will be treated in Rent Now here. If your landlord is not using Rent Now, then here are some best-practice tips on placing a holding deposit.
Best Practice for Viewings
- Do not take cash with you
- Don't hand over cash directly to the landlord
- Before paying any holding deposit, agree in writing the terms under which the deposit will treated. Know exactly under what circumstances the landlord will be able to keep your deposit!
- Pay any holding deposit via bank transfer so you have an electronic record and get a receipt
- Note down the photo ID of the landlord: their name, D.o.B., etc.
- Check that there are no admin fees. We don't allow any admin fees to be charged for properties on our site.
- Try not to go alone and let someone know where you will be
What if a listing looks too good to be true?
Every OpenRent advert has a 'Report Listing' button on it, so please let us know as soon as possible if you have concerns about an advert. We promptly look into any advert you have concerns about.