Once everyone has signed the tenancy agreement there is a legally binding commitment for all parties to honour its terms.
However, we understand that circumstances can change and that sometimes it may be necessary to cancel a tenancy after the contracts have been signed.
Until the initial rent payment has been released to the landlord you can cancel an OpenRent tenancy through your Account. Before you start the process online please ensure that everyone has signed a Deed of Surrender. You can download a template here.
- The party who is withdrawing from the tenancy should login to their OpenRent Account and select the relevant tenancy: https://www.openrent.co.uk/listingmanager/rentnowmanager
- Once you’ve selected the correct tenancy, scroll to the bottom of the page and click “See Cancel Options”. You’ll need to confirm that you want to surrender the tenancy.
- You’ll be asked to confirm that everyone has signed the Deed of Surrender and to provide a summary of why the tenancy is being surrendered.
- We’ll provide an outline of any funds that have been paid towards the tenancy and how they will be treated once the tenancy has been ended. You’ll need to confirm that the information is correct.
- Once you’ve confirmed the surrender we will email everyone else on the tenancy agreement to confirm.
- After everyone has confirmed our support team will review the information and process any refunds/bank transfers.
- Funds will be returned within 10 working days of the review.
Please note that cancelling a tenancy on your account does not itself mean that the tenancy is surrendered. In order to ensure that the tenancy is fully surrendered please sign the Deed of Surrender as outlined above.